YOUR MATTRESS LIFE SPAN
Your mattress won’t last forever. A combination of factors work together to determine how long your mattress will provide optimum comfort and support.
Changes in lifestyle, such as moving into a new home or getting married, may call for a change in your mattress.
As we age, our bodies change. What was comfortable and supportive when you were 25 may not meet your needs when you’re 35 or 45. Make sure that every mattress in your home meets the sleeper’s current needs for comfort, support, and space.
Age and quality
Don’t look to the age of your mattress or the warranty to determine whether it’s time for a new mattress. Neither are indicators of how long your mattress will maintain optimum comfort and support. A poor-quality mattress set can deteriorate quickly, while top-quality sets can provide comfort and support for a number of years.
A mattress set that is used nightly or that gets more of a workout (e.g., you watch television or read in bed) will lose its comfort and support more quickly than a set that is used less often, such as a guest room bed.
IS IT TIME TO SAY ‘NIGHT, NIGHT’ TO YOUR OLD BED?
Try this quick quiz:
- Are you sleeping better or worse than you were a year ago?
- Do you wake up feeling stiff and sore?
- Are there visible signs of wear and tear on your mattress?
- Your mattress doesn’t provide enough space for both of you to move comfortably during the night?
- Is you mattress just plain uncomfortable for either one of you?
- Is your mattress more than 10 years old?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, it’s time to think about replacing your bed!